Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Finding Your True Self

I just started to read this book called Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. While reading, I connected the situation in the story with my life. I've never been what you call a "people pleaser", I am always willing to help others, but I am not going to let someone take advantage of me. I think I am the opposite of the character of the story, Siddhartha. In the story we can see that since he was little he followed what people wanted him to be. He was raised according to the verses of the holy book, he was expected to grow into being a intelligent man and to become a priest. That would make his parents proud.  His parents taught him a way of living and he never questioned it until now. It seems to me, that his parents may be living a dream of their own through their son. Personally, this has never happened to me, my parents always support my decisions and don't pressure me into anything. Sometimes people can be a little selfish, but I do believe that it is best to put yourself first and then help others. If you don't do this, then you will help others achieve their happiness, but you will remain unhappy, or bitter for the rest of your life.

Like Siddhartha realized, it is never too late to do what you want to do. He wanted to become a Samana and even though it was not what his parents wanted for him, he didn't take no for an answer, like we see here, " With your permission, Father, I have come to tell you that I wish to leave your house tomorrow and join the ascetics. I wish to become a Samana. I trust my father will not object."(Pg 7) He ended up getting what he wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment